The HRC is composed of 5 residents and/or business owners of the Township appointed by the Board of Commissioners (BOC). The purpose of the HRC is to ensure that all persons, regardless of actual or perceived race, color, religious creed, ancestry, sex, national origin, handicap, use of guide or support animals because of blindness, deafness or physical handicap of the user or the user is a handler or trainer of support or guide animals, or sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression enjoy the full benefits of citizenship and are afforded equal opportunities for employment, housing and public accommodation within Upper Gwynedd Township.
The HRC members will meet as deemed necessary to hear resident discrimination complaints. The Commission shall be responsible for the following and as also outlined in the Human Relations Commission Ordinance:
- Attend such training and education seminars or sessions as deemed necessary to acquaint themselves with the functioning of the Upper Gwynedd Township Human Relations Commission.
- The Commission will be responsible for receiving and processing complaints from any person claiming to be aggrieved by a practice which is made unlawful under the Human Relations Commission Ordinance.
- The Commission will be responsible for notifying the person(s) charged with a discriminatory act or practice under this Ordinance with the complaint made against them.
- The Commission will inform the complainant of his or her rights to file a complaint with the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission or the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission as well as the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, where applicable.
- The Commission will also be responsible for notifying the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission of the filing of any complaint that may be deemed to be within the jurisdiction of that Commission, as required under the Human Relations Act. iv.
- The Commission will receive answers from the person(s) charged with a discriminatory act and proceed with the remediation options as outlined in the Ordinance.
Please click here for the full Ordinance: Ordinance 2020-06